Hiring Interview with WECYBER

I learned the hiring process can be different dependent upon what the company does and what position they are hiring for. I had the privilege to interview the Chief Operating Officer and managing partner for WECYBER. Since they specialize in cyber security, researching a prospective’s digital footprint is just as important as how unique the person’s resume is. They look at a person’s skill set and how well they match the job description, but how their resume is unique will surely get their attention. If someone has something slightly different and creative in their opening description or has a different format to their resume, they will have a much better chance of securing an interview. They are a smaller company; therefore, she’ll interview anywhere from 5-10 candidates. Also, depending on the position they are hiring will determine whether it’s a group interview or one-on-one interview.

One detail that is extremely important to them in an interview is how well the applicant can regurgitate the information they are asking of them. Natalie Unga, chief Operating officer, has worked over 12 years with her managing partner, and they are used to working in a fast paced environment. So they need someone that can “take it, get it, and go with it” mentality. So during an interview, it’s important to test the applicant’s ability to process information, tempo, and ability to tell them what they are looking for at that point. WECYBER wants to know how much entrepreneurism the applicant has in them.

I’ve been on enough interviews, both group and one-on-one, that I didn’t think I could really learn much from this assignment. In the end, I’m glad it was part of our semester criteria, because I gained a tremendous amount of valuable information from Natalie Unga’s interview. I will try to instill in my children the importance of understanding how detrimental the internet can be to their future if the wrong thing is uploaded. I also learned Natalie Unga is part of the 100 Women in 100 Days cybersecurtiy certification program. They encourage more women to seek a career in cyber security to make our world more secure! I admire this women, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to get to know her.