Reflective Journal Week 5

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

This weeks discussions focused on grading criteria for employees, how to deal with problem employees, and who we believe to be the greatest leader of all time.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that my group and I agree on many points regarding these topics.

We were given a scenario regarding disciplinary action for a single mother, charge nurse, who is great at her job, over 15 years experience in her position, but does not pick up extra shifts on the unit.  As a group, we felt this person wouldn’t need any disciplinary action at this time, but we all agreed a conversation would help so that leadership of the unit and this nurse are all on the same page with expectations. We agreed nurses in leadership roles should lead by example, and once the conversation was had, if the manager is still insistent on the extra shifts, then maybe stepping out of the role of charge nurse might be in the best interest of the nurse and her family.

When it comes to grading criteria for employees, we came to the following conclusions:

Poor – I feel that people in this category consistently fail to meet required outcomes and perform significantly below performance standards. Unable to provide good quality and safe care. Employee never meets employer expectations. Behavior does not exhibit a desire for improvement. Consistently fails to meet expectations and job requirement. Constant need of supervision.

Below Average- Employee rarely meets employer expectations. Behavior rarely exhibits a desire for improvement. There is obviously a lack of knowledge and understanding in their job and they need improvement to meet expectations. Still requires supervision or constant assistance from coworkers.

Average- Average staff is effective and consistent in their level of job performance. Consistently meets all relevant job requirements and job standards.  Seldom exceeds beyond what is expected however knows what is expected and has knowledge of job responsibilities.

Above Average- Their performance exceeds jobs requirements and team members often turn to them for answers to clinical problems. Significantly exceeds all relevant job requirements and job standards. Show initiative, works well with others, shows strong interpersonal skills. Goes above and beyond what is expected.

Exceptional- Goes far above requirements and is committed to organization. They have an amicable disposition and are team players.  Consistently exceeds expectations and performance standards. Provides leadership and promotes teamwork, highly productive, generates high quality work.

We all struggled to narrow down who we felt would be the greatest leader of all time. When doing this assignment we all agreed to have thought about the same people for our top choices. It was so difficult to settle on just one person, but we all agreed Jesus Christ, Florence Nightingale, and Martin Luther King Jr. are among our top in leaders of all time.  I didn’t think it was fair to narrow it down to just one person.

I appreciate the input from my team on grading criteria for employees.  I think we came together to make a fantastic scale upon which to judge employee work ethic by. My experiences with my team is that we usually have the same view points, and we all generally try to avoid conflict. I learned some great things about some of the leaders we discussed, but it never really changed my view point.

My take away from this week is that I need to look at how hard it is to be the leader sometimes.  When my manager is having to deal with all of our complaints, I need to recognize her position is a hard one, and she must remain fair.  I will also try my best to make myself measure up to what I believe an exceptional employee should be.

1. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I found the material covered this week to be enlightening and inspiring. It’s inspired me to live up to my definition of an exceptional coworker/employee. It’s helped me to see things from all view points, and that it’s always important to have good communication whether it’s between coworkers or with leadership. I’ve never liked appraisal interviews, and I don’t think I ever will, regardless of whether I’m the employee or in the leadership role. I am grateful for the way my past managers have conducted the performance appraisal interviews as I found them to be positive and less painful than is always anticipated.