Reflective Journal Week 7

This week included a budgeting assignment and discussion. We were to find a way to cut out about 10% of the budget doing our best to avoid laying off employees.  We each found that this was not a possible thing to do unless all of the employees took a pay cut or decreased the number of hours they worked each month. This week’s assignment was more challenging for me, because it was difficult for me to consider cutting employees’ hours. Budgeting might be one of my bigger challenges if I were to become a manager of a unit.

I think our team is working really well together. We’re getting in a groove of things, and we usually find it easy to get along or come to a consensus. We’re all pretty good at caring our own weight. We also interviewed someone in regards to discipline or firing an employee. I interviewed a regional closing manager for a mortgage company. Their employees usually did really well in regards to correcting their mistakes or any issue with work, but their biggest issue was in regards to attendance, specifically tardiness. I learned most companies will give a verbal warning the first time, but the second time they are usually written up. In the case for this company, the would give them 15 days to straighten up their act, but sometimes, if it was at month end when it’s their busiest, they may give the employee 30 days to do better. However, if the employee is given 30 days to clean up their act, then there aren’t any additional chances after that. They could be fired after those 30 days if they are still tardy or have too many unexcused absences.

Any time an employee needs to be written up or fired, there are always two managers in attendance. This really protects them from any conflicts or “he  said/she said” issues. They’ve never had anyone react in an aggressive manner during a firing, because the steps have been layed out very clearly. The employee was well aware of the situation. However, they did have a time where the person they “let go” was negative in her PTO. Human resource contacted them to notify them the employee that was “let go” needed to pay back the PTO. This of course came out of her last paycheck.

Ironically, from what I learned, I found the budgeting was more daunting than disciplinary meetings.