Managing Change

What did you actually learn from the unit.

This week we discussed managing change, and I feel I do this fairly well thanks to my dad and my experience in sports. When I first started playing softball and opportunities began to present themselves, my dad taught me to always be open to change. It didn’t matter that I was already the number catcher for my age in the nation, we’re always looking to get better, and the only way to do that is to be open to change. He also taught me to give change time to work. It wasn’t something you try for a day, you have to really put effort and a positive attitude into it so you can say you really tried.
Another phrase I learned in college while playing softball for Sue Enquist at UCLA, was to try and avoid and try not to be an “energy sucker.” These are the people who are so negative that they affect your feelings and attitude.

In five years I’ve moved to three different units out of the desire to learn various skills. For this reason, I feel I adjust well to change, and this is why I love nursing. There are so many opportunities in the nursing field. I will continue to strive to be positive, continue to learn, and try to avoid being an “energy sucker.” The lectures did mention people adjust to change better if it’s done slowly, and if they are given an explanation. As a floor nurse who has been through system changes along with unit changes, I do feel this is true. It’s easier for me to adjust if I understand why we are moving in this particular direction.

4. Your personal feelings about the material covered.

I particular enjoyed watching the video “Wo Moved My Cheese.” I can’t believe I have never heard of this before, but I enjoyed it. I found that although I see myself mostly in a combination of scurry and Haw, I can look back at my life and find moments where I have been one of the 4 characters at least for a moment. I feel I mostly resembled these two characters, because I’m ready to learn and move forward like scurry, but sometimes I may over analyze and have a tendency to be slow to move. I have also been like Haw where I have let friends or family affect my decision to move forward quicker because of their negativity.