Strategic Planning

1. What did you actually learn from the unit.

This week we discussed strategic planning in the work place and for the future programs offered at Utah Valley University. We agreed it would be beneficial to have a MSN program that focused on Nurse Practitioner specialty. I learned plans can fail due to false assumptions, not knowing the overall goal, not having enough alternatives, inadequate time or resources, and inadequate delegation of authority. I also learned to avoid the “group hug.” Trying to please everyone or take into consideration all ideas can delay the project and cause bigger issues.

Our activity this week was definitely outside my comfort zone. As a group, we were in charge of a community with a 100 bed community hospital. Our goal was to maximize profit by strategic building medical facilities through out the city. We were also competing against another team. It was intimidating to say the least, but the once I got an idea it lead to other ideas. It helped to think of the project sort of like the monopoly game where I want to purchase property and place hotels where I can gain the most profit. In this case we are looking for profit and how to offer the best medical care necessary that is also easily accessible.

I learned I need to be willing to be the bad guy in a work environment, but this can be difficult for me. I’m more likely to place myself where I’m in a “group hug” trying to make everyone happy.

4. Your personal feelings about the material covered.

I thought the strategic planning activity was creative and difficult as a group. Although there are five people in my group, two people have stopped participating in assignments the last few weeks. It’s frustrating, and this week was even more so when we have a big assignment like this to work on combined with a group exam.