Conflict in the Workplace

1. What did you actually learn from the unit?

This week we discussed conflict and various forms of communication in the workplace. We also discussed the conflicts involved in the move The Guardian with Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.

Conflict – When two independent parties have a disagreement on a topic, direction, or goals to be achieved.

Assertive Communication – Being firm in your stance, message is delivered clearly and calmly, setting appropriate boundaries, express your point clearly and confidently, recognizing your needs matter as much as everyone else, compromise is possible.

Aggressive Communication – Being hostile in stance, refusing to see any other side of a conflict, can lead to shouting or aggression, talking over others.

As a group, we came to a general consensus of what we felt the best definitions for each of the words was by combining our definitions together. It helped us to collaborate and effectively work together on communication the appropriate way. I don’t feel like it really changed my opinion because we were on the same page from the beginning.

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice?

In regards to the movie, you never know what other people are struggling with/through in their lives. Communication is key, and you never know what you might learn in return. I also learned I would like to become better with assertive communication. I have a tendency to avoid confrontations, and I’m not very assertive when I do communicate. There are times when assertive communication is appropriate, and I will strive to be better with this.

4. Your personal feelings about the material covered.

This is an important topic to discuss because it does happen. There are various types of conflict, and how you handle this in the work environment can influence the people around you.